Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:22:56 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Octane, Additives

To my knowledge if your vehicle calls for 87 octane fuel you will not benefit from higher octane fuel, but if you use 87 octane fuel in a vehicle that calls for 91, you will see a difference.

My response is based on two things, personal observations of my Audi, and a science fair experiment that my son used to win his age division in a statewide contest several years ago.

My Audi calls for 91 octane fuel and I have observed over several years and varying weather/driving conditions that it does indeed get improved mileage and run better with 91 octane vs 87. Enough so to easily justify the higher fuel cost, the mileage difference alone more then covers the cost variance.

For his science experiment my son wanted to compare CO emissions from an automobile using different grades of fuel. We took a vehicle that calls for high octane fuel and ran I/M tests on it using 87, 89, and 91 octane fuels. The engine burned much cleaner with the higher octane fuel, and ran better too. In fact the 91 octane fuel burned so much better that it increased the idle speed and we had to readjust it. The differences were probably more noticable on the car we used then most people would see as it called for a minimum of 99 octane.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: Russell Patten <toolvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM> Date: Monday, July 12, 2004 7:00 am Subject: Fuel Octane, Additives