Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:35:41 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Was engle 100 cam in a waterboxer Now more than you ever wanted
              to know about WBX cams

Tony wrote

>An Engle 100 grind is .420" lift w/ 420-degrees of duration......as you know >a type 1 cam and gear drops right into a waterboxer

Tony the listed duration for the Engle 100 is 278 the cam does drop right in but the stock oil pump can't be used. The Engle cams gears are the same as the early bug shallow dished and you would need to use a early dual relief oil pump. That pump has the larger oil holes and the shallow body design. the next thing to keep in mind is that the heavy duty pumps you will be tempted to use have a thicker flange and will interfere with the rear mount bracket. I have never tried to used the Engle cams because the engine is fuel injected the cam might have negative affects on drivability and economy I do know of a fellow that says he has used a non stock bug cam I will check in with him and ask how it worked you also asked about the 1.9 verses the 2.1 cams. The 1.9 cam has the same profile as the bug with a harder gear. The total lift on 1.9 - bug cam on the measured at the intake retainer is around 305ths with a stock bug - WBX rocker arms. Some after market stock cams have a few ths. more lift. The 2.1 cam total lift on measured at the intake retainer is around 355 ths. The 2.1 cam is also at .040ths lift 12 degrees sooner than the bug - 1.9 cam I think that means the 2.1 cam has 24 degrees more duration than the bug - 1.9 cam. The now famous Lilly profile 2.1 cam has about the same lift as the stock 2.1 cam but has about 8 more degrees duration at .040ths lift than the stock 2.1 according to my charts. I have not profiled the Engle 100 but I have done the Engle 110 cam it opens 22 degrees sooner than the bug cam at .040ths lift and has a much longer opening ramp to get to this .040ths lift point more than twice as much than either stock WBX cams I have used Web cams in my 2.0 rebuilds with the same duration more lift for about a year with good results. the idle is a little lumpy but the injection handles it. I don't think the injection will tolerate a cam with allot more duration. Web also has milder cams than the 100 Engle

Other thing so keep in mind are valve spring pressure needs to go up when you use a nonstock cam I have never seen aftermarket heavy duty springs for the WBX engines I don't like welded WBx cranks they tend to brake I have a couple of 2.1 cores that need to be welded on one rod if you deside to go that way let me know. stroking makes for alot of work clearancing to let the spinning mass turn inside the block not to mention the piston heights and the push rod lenghts for these reasons I make my stage 2 ad 3 engines breathe better reather than increase the displacement all rights reserved Bob Donalds Boston Engine http://www.bostonengine.com