Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:25:52 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Running rich, O2 sensor says lean, exhaust leak?
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net>

Karl, thanks for the tip.

I don't have a spare electronic control unit. However, I'm not sure if the injectors are stuck open. At least, I hope that they are not stuck open. ;-)

The big mystery for me is why the O2 sensor reads under 0.1 volts (really lean), even when there is an obvious condition of richness. Seems like the O2 sensor is telling the control unit, "I need more gas, I need more gas." Then, the injectors keep pumping gas into the system.

When I disconnect the O2 sensor, the engine seems to run okay.

If I disconnect the O2 sensor from the ECU, but connect it to a voltmeter, the O2 sensor still says that the engine is running lean, when in reality it is running rich.

All I could think of was the exhaust leaking air into the system. However, maybe it is the engine ground.

Keep the ideas coming.

The van is sick. :-( And, that makes me sad.. :-((

Regards, Craig

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:00:22 -0700, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > Craig, > > Look for something else. > > You're using four times the fuel you should be. An exhaust leak will > affect your mixture, but not to that extent. I've driven home with a > broken exhaust - like fully separated - and not had the mileage affected > to a noticeable extent. Unless the dent is such that the exhaust flow > is pretty well closed off, you won't get this effect either. > > Sounds like your injectors are stuck open. That sounds like a CPU > problem. Do you have a known good unit you can swap in? Can you get > one? Perhaps from another listee? > > Karl Wolz > > > > > >. Right now, I think it is air leaks > > into the system or maybe that dent. > > > > Any advice before I crawl around under the van and get dirt falling in > > my face, hair and eyes? > > > > -- Craig >