Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:04:59 -0700
From:         Markus Mumper <mumper@USA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Back on the road but running warm or faulty gauge

Your situation sounds exactly correct in my experience. Don't sweat it.

Markus

Kevin <antelopewesty@ADELPHIA.NET> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

So my mechanic had a black temp switch instock so I gave it a shot. What's

$12 more? Gauge still staying the same. I'm wondering where should this

thing be running in the summer? Should the normal temp be just above the

LED in 80f weather? In traffic should it reach the 3/4 mark and then the

fan kick on? I boiled my 2 thermostats and they both work. I just don't

want to do any long term damage because it's running too hot. I will pick

up a infrared gun tomorrow as it seems a useful tool for pin pointing

problems but I am wondering if I even have a problem at this point. Seems a

little scary that the van would get to the 3/4 in regular traffic what

happens in a major traffic jam for hours? Please let me know where you guys

are all running on your coolant temp gauges.

Thanks

Kevin

87 Westy

Sounds like it is working properly to me. A lower temp fan switch will

help to turn on the fan sooner but it is not necessary. Get an infrared

temp gauge to see what temps you really have as the gauges are not

always consistent but it is difficult to fix something that is not

broken.

Dennis

----

Hi Everyone,

One week after the start of the project I'm back on the road. So here

is

the deal. Motor sounds great! No leaks. But my coolant gauge still

rides

just above the LED and the low speed fan comes in traffic at about 3/4

up

the gauge. Now I can't seem to get any more air out of the system at

all so

I feel it is bleed correctly as heat works perfect and I have not had to

add

any coolant yet. Now in theory there should be no way for it to be

running

hot as I have a new T-stat, pressure cap, rad, rad fan switch, low speed

resistor (figure it was $30 insurance and now I have a spare) most

coolant

hoses, head gaskets water pump and that's just coolant system restore

did

lots of other stuff as well. Now the old rad did have some crap in it

but

it is running the same with the temp just above led like one needle and

in

traffic at about 80f in traffic the temp will go up to 3/4 and the low

speed fan kicks in. Not sure what to do next? Any tips on this one

would

be great. Thanks for everyone's help so far. Hoping to get this settled

so

I can go to greyfox on sat.

Kevin

87 Westy