Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:52:37 -0400
From:         Paul Holmquist <pholmquist@INFOBLVD.NET>
Subject:      running hot and choppy

Hello.

Something always seems to happen the day before a trip, though I should be grateful it's not actually on the trip. All of a sudden, after about a 15 mile drive, the van starts running a little choppy, and getting shudders when I try to accelerate, like it's flooding, and very little acceleration happens. Top speed was about 45 mph, and much less on slight grades despite pedal down. I made it home and checked the engine, it was extremely hot, so hot that the rear bumper sizzled water. There was also some steam wafting up from the coolant reservoirs. The engine was rocking more than usual as it idled. Coolant was full, oil was fine. The auxiliary fan came on as I parked, so I let the engine run until it went off. No indicator lights had come on.

Has the water pump gone, or is going? Or the thermostat? Would any overheating cause the engine to run choppy, or is it a separate headache?

One time when the coolant had gotten low, and I had overfilled the oil, it heated up and ran similarly. I got the oil to the right level and it was fine.

I'm about an hour and a half from decent service, so I'd like to get a sense of what might be wrong and try to take care of it myself if possible. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows of a good mechanic in Buffalo, Rochester, or Ithaca, NY please let me know.

I'll still do the trip though, in my wife's volvo and a tent.

Thanks.

Paul Holmquist 86 Wolfsburg Weekender Alfred, NY