Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:56:03 -0400
From:         tmiller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Octane, Additives
Comments: To: Russell Patten <toolvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>

Your girly friend is correct. If it does not run properly on 87 octane gas, you need a tune up or some repairs. All gas must contain detergents to keep the injectors clean. The high octane gas is mainly used in vehicles that have high compression, typically above 9.5:1, to prevent detonation. The rest is marketing hype. As for Lucas products, why not go use a good synthetic lube instead of adding crutches to your petroleum oils? Additives of any make will not change the basic problems with the dino oils. Short lives, poor high temperature performance, poor low temperature performance, poor shear stability, cheap additives in the base oil. See previous emails on this discussion. TEMiller