Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:19:04 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Additives oops
Comments: To: Russell Patten <toolvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>

Russel,

I have forgotten what engine yu have in your vehicle. If it is a 1.9L or 2.1L WBX, multi grade oils are the oil of choice, not single grade. Why?? They have a wider performance range that allows the to better serve under varying conditions. For the two engines I would strongly recommend a 20W50 st Dino oil or a 15W50 synthetic type. I ran the 20W50 Dino oil for a long time, but whn I had my engine rebuilt, after breaking it in well, I switched to 15W50 Mobil One. I have been very happy with it. These new synthetics hold up better, and though they cost a little more, if they increase the life of my engine then that is what I will run. The small additional cost of oil is insignificant if the life of the engine can be extended by their use. There is conjecture about that, but I know that with airplanes, piston type aircraft engines got a substantial boost in times between overhauls when the manufacturers began requiring the new synthetics to be use. It makes sense to me that same life increase would occur with auto engines, especially with the flat 4 air or water cooled VW engines. The VW flat fours are extrordinary in their likeness to the aircraft engines and are often used in homebuilt aircraft.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver