Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:12:35 -0400
From:         Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Looking for camping around NEWPORT RI
Comments: To: Joe Federici <joefederici@EARTHLINK.NET>

Hi Joe:

I used to live in Newport, right behind the tennis hall of fame, and during Jazz season would be able to hear some of the Jazz for free.

Anyway, there is a nice town owned park on Conanicut Island (the town of Jamestown) that allows RV parking and is right on the bay. You have to cross the Newport bridge to head over to the Jazz festival, but in the summer it will be one of the most direct routes. The worst part will be trying to get through town (Americas Cup Ave., etc.).

The park is called: Fort Getty Recreational Area <http://www.jamestownri.net/parks/ftgetty.html>is located just west of Mackerel Cove Beach, off of Beavertail Road. Overlooking West Passage, it offers 25 tentsites and 100 trailer sites for use by campers. During World Wars I and II, it was used for observation and protection of the entrance to Narragansett Bay. The park offers a boat ramp, fishing area, camper services and showers. For more information and campsite reservations call (401) 423-7264.

See http://www.jamestown-ri.info/jri_recreation.htm and http://www.jamestown-ri.info/ for details. Getty park is a great place to go Windsurfing if the winds are right.

Regards, --Jeff Strickrott