Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:13:57 -0400
From:         Jonce Fancher <strtbug@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: temp sensor blinking question
Comments: To: Jim Kennedy <JK@projectdesign.com>

well actually 19,399 miles but 20k was close enough for me. im part of a few groups and the 356 registry is one of them where a retired ford worker with a german accent approached me after finding out that i tinker with all sorts of vws and have a 911S to boot. he asked if i would be interested in repairing or doing some maintenance on his 84 vanagon. it needed a few items looked at and he was not going to do the work himself. i told him i really didnt do work for other persons that often and maybe he should call around to find a repair shop to fix it and i gave him my number. 6 months later he called me and said he was looking to get the van off his property since he was going to build a 4 car garage for his 4 porsches. so he asked if i would again fix the van or find a good home for it for him. so i asked what would he like to get for it to sell it. he informed me that as long as it went to a good home or was fixed and used that he really didnt want anything for it. now i was interested. i was in the market for a 81-83 westi and had one lined up and the deal fell through so i called him to go and look at it. so we set a date and i went to his home in ann arbor michigan and he gave me the tour of the bus and pointed out all of its little needs. so he said hop in and take it for a drive and i told him i would be interested in going in with him that i put it back into shape and then as a joint venture sell it off and split the proceeds and he told me lets go for a drive and so we did. i asked did it use oil his reply about 25cc. remember he is german. then i asked how about coolant about a drop a month or so. then the majic question how many miles and he looked down and said 1 9 3 5 0 of course i said 193,500 and he said no just 19,350. so then i noticed that it never had a radio installed just the radio block off plate and not a spot on the carpet, upholstery, or headliner. even original tires with nubs still on the side wall. under the bus was still coated with cosmoline. i dropped my jaw. after we got back from the drive he pulled out a file with every reciept and anything that pertained to the van in a folder. he purchased the van in Germany in 84 and put 3800 miles on it there before he shipped it back to the U.S. he had all documents to prove it. it sat for more then 12 years and then he put on the remaining miles. after that i knew i must have the van so i asked if i could have it if i fixed it up and used it. so about a week later he drove it to my house took pictures of me taking posession of the van and i drove him home from there. what is wild is he has a 87 911 with only 25k miles and 65 356 cabriolet and a mid 50s speedster. now his daily driver is a 2001 boxster with 58k miles on it. the 87 911 is perfect and untouched. yes they are still out there. and if you dont look for them you just show interest they will just fall in your lap. i also picked up a 85 7 passanger for 300.00 for parts that was complete i parted it out since it had been sitting for 4 years and the mice made it smell some kinda bad but all the parts fit my 85 westi and 84 vanagon. c-ya Jonce