Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:11:51 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV Joint failure - New or Rebuilt?
Comments: To: Scott Walker <swalker72@KNOLOGY.NET>

Here is how NAPA handled my lifetime warranty on a NEW GM Air Conditioner Compressor: 1) $330.00 for the compressor 2) Returned the whole car the next day to let them evaluate the compressor .............. they said it was bad. 3) I removed the compressor and placed it on their pasrts counter. 4) I had the option of buying another compressor or waiting for the rebuild factory to validate my warranty and could get the replacement compressor with their validation. 5) After much hagling I got the compressor that same day and since I paid to have the first unit installed and charged the compressor MFG was supposed to repay me for those expenses. (They said if the MFG refused the warranty they'd be charging my credit card with it.) 6) After a 6 month wait and 60 phone calls to the local NAPA store I sent a certifioed letter to NAPA home office with copies of all my documentation and they decided they didn't want a small claims lawsuit for the few hundred $ involved. 7) I finally got 1/2 of the install and freeon expenses back at about the 12 month mark from my purchase date. 8) If you buy anything with a warranty and you'll be needing the receipt I'd suggest that you Xerox the receipt when it's new, put the receipt and the Xerox copy in a brown envelope and keep it in a drawer out of anykind of light. That's because the carbon fades out within a week and you just have a pice of colored or blank paper with some minor hint that something had ever been printe there. My Sams club receipts for batteries on a half doven cars all faded out because I had them loose in the glove boxes and I missed out on my warranties for a full three year battery cycle on several faulty batteries. (Champion batteries only last about 2 years on any battery no matter if it's a 24 month or a 60 month warranty thery have all failed at short of 2 years for me). 9) If you expect a warranty try stapling a copy of the warranty to your receipt so you'll have documentation. 10) The automotive rebuilders are now multi-national and world wide. Your rebuilt part could have been rebuilt anywhere in the world and through a series of shipments arrived with the wrong country of manufacture on it.

Stan Wilder www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Walker" <swalker72@KNOLOGY.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 1:25 PM Subject: Re: CV Joint failure - New or Rebuilt?