Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:36:04 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: German/French collaberation and Crashing Helicopters
Comments: To: Russell Patten <toolvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>

Russell Patten wrote:

> The other day I was considering the purchase of a used fuel pump > from an > e-bay seller, ID: 'karmanvan'. I had e-mailed him to ask the bosch part > number on the pump to determine if it was the correct part for my > vehical. > He informed me that Bosch had different exact-match pumps with different > last 4 digits of part number indicating where they were made, all exact > matches for the pump that belongs in my van. > Smells like a skunk to me. The Bosch part numbers I have for all of > the > electrics in the van (Thanks Joel) refrence only a single number for the > fuel pump. Ends in 016, if memory serves. Gentleman informed me the > same > pump built in france ends in 011. Another for Italy. > > Why would Bosch have the same pump made in different places and give it > different part numbers? > > >> We got to where we could predict a transmission failure with an 85-90% >> accuracy. Pretty good for back in those days. Made the Army and Page >> very >> happy - and a especially a lot of pilots!! > > > That sounds like a pretty interesting job. I like the pilot that > hovers > all day as part of his advanced training. Punishment for something, I > guess.

Russell, actually the hovering all day was a deliberate part of a test program. Page was paying guys to run the machines in the sands pits all the way up to the point of destruction. No punishment involved. Just testing, and somebody got paid well to spend the hours in the seat to do it.

> I'm also curious about predicting a transmission failure in a helicopter. > How do you let it happen without catastrophic consequences to man and > machine?

We plotted the composition and amount of the accumulating metals in the oil as the components aged. When the unit from which the oil samples were taken showed a spike on our charts, we had the maintenance section pull the transmission. Tear down of the component provided the proof of the pudding.

> >> Tough little engine. I never saw a 1.9L with a rod through the engine >> case. >> But I have seen plenty old air cooled engines and 2.1L WBX engines >> with the >> rod and hole through the block. The 1.9 L engine uses a fixed length >> bolt >> with no stretch on the rods. The 2.1L WBX uses a stretch bolt for the >> rod >> end. Problem is the stretch bolts just keep on stretching. This allow >> over >> time for the rod end bearings to wear to oval, lose oil pressure, and >> seize, throwing a rod amd destroying the block. Good rebuilders like Bob >> Donalds use the 1.9L bolts in rebuilding a 2.1L engine. > > > That went just a little over my head. Mind explaining with a little more > elaboration? Bolts that are made to stretch?

Stretch bolts are often used in industry. When a given procedure for installation and a specified torque is applied, the bolts, being designed to stretch, then achieve the required engineering specification. In the case of the 2.1L WBX, it is a weakness in the original engine design The rod assembly components specifications could have been better. More stout or robust bolts could have been specified and used. Bob Donalds had a lot to say about this on his web site at www.bostonengines.com.

BTW, in radial engines in aircraft, the crankshaft has a single crank throw, and a single rod, the master rod, mounts to it, with all the other rods mounting on the master rod. The master rod is the only rod in the engine whose Crank end travels in a true circle. All the other rods, being attached to the master rod, travel in an ellipse. It's a marvel in engineering. Anyway, because all the other rods mount to the master rod, the master rod is one piece. The crankshaft is in two pieces. The crank shaft parts are clamped together, and the bolts that hold them are stretch bolts. Once the bolts are installed and the torque applied, the bolt length must be measured with a micrometer and have stretched to a specified length. If it has not, then the bolt must be replaced. If the stretched length for the specified torque is to much, then the bolt must be replaced. It's a heck of a thing. The stretch bolts used in this particular application are extremely expensive as they must be engineered and manufactured to perfect tolerances.

> Off to camp at Guadalupe state park this weekend. I hope to hell that > the van makes it there and back. Had a couple of maintanence items I > wasn't > able to tackle (afford) before we leave.

Have a good trip!!

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver