Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:04:22 -0700
From:         MC <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: OEM Pop Top Seals
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

Ron,

Thank you for being so passionate about the seal. Let me first state that over the years I have bought many parts from you including some I bought for spare in anticipating the OE parts may become hard to get.

Believe it or not before I decided on the OE seal I read most of the posts on this subject including those of yours over the years. I am very well aware of the rust problem of the OE and that the spring steel open to the weather. I was considering buying yours if the design and appearance is satisfactory. On your website I cannot determine how it actually look in both appearance and in cross-section. All I know is it is a bulb seal as opposed to the 2 lip design like the OE. With the effort you claim to develop your seal why don't you include a few close-up pictures showing the details including the cross sections. I was frustrated after researching all the after market seals.

I am very meticulous on everything I add to my Westy and the seal is no exception. I totally agree that Westfalia engineer did fall short on this design. Given the degree of perfection on the rest of the coach work and design I am willing to treat the seal as consumable.

- Vince

> > After much deliberation between the after market seal vs the OEM, I > > decided I want the OEM one.

No insult intended, but I must ask ... Have you gone completely mad? :-)

The stock poptop seal might just be the worst product that Westfalia ever invented. What were they thinking, using thin metal rust-prone clips on a seal that has its 'open' end facing the sky so water gets in every time it rains? Within a few years the metal clip starts rusting and the seal starts sagging. Long before it starts noticably falling apart from rust it has become an ineffective seal. Not to mention how it looks drooping off of your poptop and leaving rust stains in its wake.

So is this horrid design much cheaper than the superior aftermarket alternatives that use no-rust aluminum clips? No! In fact it's FIVE TIMES the price! This isn't even a close call. It's a no-brainer!

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy new genuine VW poptop seals for roughly _twice_ the price of an aftermarket seal, and still turned them down. Frankly I couldn't recommend them with a good conscience even if they were the SAME price as aftermarket ones. It's simply an intrinsically flawed design. Just because something is "original" doesn't make it better. Even the venerable engineers at VW or Westfalia come up with a stupid idea now and then, and this one takes the cake.

Within a few years, your new $400 poptop seal will be rusting out all over again. If you have $400 to burn every several years, go for it. But personally I'd save my money for the many OEM products that ARE worth spending extra money for.

Of course aftermarket seals vary in quality. Many are just off-the-shelf weatherstrip that VW parts vendors buy by the roll and sell as "poptop seal." Ours is custom manufactured to our specs for this purpose. It has a different insulation bulb than most other aftermarket seals (closer to OEM) and a different finish (smoother than the others, also closer to OEM). We offer two different styles of luggage rack seals depending on your needs. Also, ours is also the only one whose flat section (between the poptop and luggage rack) is also held on by metal clips rather than requiring glue. While the aftermarket poptop seals are two-piece rather than one-piece (the flat seal at the front of the poptop being a separate part), a few minutes with a razor blade can create a nearly invisible seam. This is no different from what Westfalia did anyway; the original seal is also two pieces, but was glued together by the factory rather than by you. Basically, for $79 for the whole kit rather than about $400, you will replace it once and never have to do it again, and if you take a reasonable amount of care it will look so close to stock that nobody will ever notice the difference.

Of course it's your money and your van. But boy, at $400 every several years just for poptop seals alone, you sure must have an awful lot of money burning a hole in your pocket... :-)

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT