Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:16:24 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FS: clearance : many assorted Vanagon parts
Comments: To: whitewaterboxer@ATTBI.COM, wilden1-1@sbcglobal.net

I seem to remember a recent post.

Date: Friday, July 18, 2004 Subject Line: Plug for my Ceramics Business Posted By List Member: Stan Wilder.

I don't remember Stan including any prices in that thread (although they are on the link in his thread).

Stan, what is the big deal about posting prices in every thread? You harp on this all the time! One of the most important lessons in life I learned is that everything is negotiable. Yeah, I did buy stuff from Dave. He didn't ask me to respond to your post. I'm doing it just because I get so tired of your harping (and that of others). By the way, Dave's prices were far more than fair, and he was easy to deal with.

Now consider these scenarios. I wanted to buy all of Dave's new A/C components, the new bumper end caps, and possibly the engine cover rug. I e-mailed Dave and told him this. He gave it some thought and told me what he felt would be a fair price. I liked the price on all but the engine cover rug so I passed on that and bought the rest. However, here is the bonus for Dave. He only has to do one transaction to get rid of 5 different items that he advertised. That saves him a lot of time and effort. Good for him.

Consider this. Someone might want only one bumper end cap. If that person and Dave reach an agreement on price, Dave will have to package that single item, keep track of the payment for it, take it to the post office (or wherever) once he gets paid. Clearly this is more trouble than selling several items in a single transaction.

What we are looking at here is transaction cost. The more you can sell in a single transaction, the less it costs the vendor. That is why many of us that don't have formal businesses sell like this. It is worth our while to wheel and deal just to get rid of the junk we have sitting around. I have a pretty big inventory of used Porsche parts in both my garage and house. Sold individually, I'd like a lot of money for them. However, I'd be more than happy to give someone a WONDERFUL deal if they came and hauled all of it away. I'd still want to make money, but it would be worth it for me to do it in a single transaction and make a little less money.

Stan, you are in business. Surely you understand issues such as set-up time and the economies of volume production. Well, that is what Dave just might be doing here. Buy more, get a little better price. If you are polite with him, he may throw something in extra also (I was polite, but I didn't get anything extra, although this has happened to me with transactions with many other list members).

I like to think that we are here to form a supportive community with a shared interest. I'll go out of my way to help a fellow Vanagon owner, even if I don't know him/her. It really gets me pissed when someone gets their panties in a wad just because someone is different or has a unique style.

We all have our own way of doing things. Stan, you do things your way. Dave does things his way. I do things my way. In the words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

Whatever happened to all those peace signs we used to see on the old busses?

Let's All Just Try To Get Along, Bruce motorbruce motorbruce@hotmail.com