Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jul 2004 04:16:53 -0400
From:         Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@MAIL.CRAFTECH.COM>
Subject:      Kurt from Philly - Back to list-  Back to Van with RexMobile

List-

It is good to be back after a 4 yr hiatus. Drove a 79 then 84 from for about 10 yrs. After a 3yr forced break I am back on the road with a nice silver 86. After a two week trial run it stopped - fortunately in the driveway. Moderate case of indigestion (bad gas.) I did everything I could short of taking tank out to get that tomatoes juice colored liquid out of the system. Couple of questions.

1. When I take hose from tank to fuel pump off, should gas come out freely (mine didn't which surprised me), or is there some sort of low pressure valve in the tank? -- Several mouthfuls of gas attested to the fact that fuel would come out under pressure, which is how I was able to get bad gas out, until I got smart and reconnected pump to direct 12 volt supply and let it pump out bad gas into a jug at other end. Still - fuel only seemed to want to come out under suction pressure, but I basically primed the fuel line all the way to that bleeder screw in engine compartment - it was clear gas and it started right up. Of course this was after 6 hours of putzing around to determine the problem and fixing it. Not bad for an under the hood neophyte, actually. I was thrilled when is started and I didn't have to have it towed to garage. So were my mechanics, who admittedly don't like vanagons.

2. Why did they change the location of the fuel filter to behind the fuel pump?

3. My gas gauge does not work, and I probably let it get too low - maybe empty, which could have caused the shut down then no start in the first place? How do I go about replacing gauge? I am not savvy on electrical tests and jump wires et el which I read about here. Do I have to learn these things to survive?

4. What would not fit my 86 from my 84?

5. I will be parting out the 84 - that is what I can't use. Brown interior if there is any interest in the seats.

Finally, anyone out there from Philly area? Any organized activities - camping et el. around here? I camp in my Vanagon and get best of both worlds - camping and regular day hauling.

Good to be back on line and back on the road. I swear the bus is the best to drive. Windows down - it feels like a convertible. I even have a dog pen in the back now for Rex. Oh after much consideration, I called it the RexMobile.

Cheers

Kurt Grotz Media PA (1 hour from Bus Depot - Yea)