Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:58:43 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Draining Fluid From the Fuel Filter
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

Having lived in Alaska for 30 years, I have learned about ice and water in the fuel lines. The common practice was/is to add a small amount of Alcohol to gasoline tank - say a pint - every other tankful or so - to keep the water that accumulates from condensation out of there. Most common was Heet, a brand sold in the gas stations. Did the job.

Alcohol will absorb any water, and will mix with the gas and be passed out through the fuel lines to the chyinders. If there is a lot of water, then warming the vehicle and draining the lines is the only solution. But one can keep ahead of it by simple planning and routine preventive maintenance.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver