Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:20:24 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Temp Gauge/Voltage Stabilizer
Comments: To: Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@EARTHLINK.NET>

Jim, this may be a problem with the 43 relay or the circuit that feeds it, namely the coolant level sensor system. The conclusive test is to remove the 43 relay and see if the problem continues. If the problem persists with the relay out, the engine temp sender circuit or the gauge or cluster itself may be bad. If the problem ceases with the 43 relay out, the fault MUST lie with the coolant level circuit and fooling with the voltage stabilizer won't help. The 43 relay is part of the coolant level circuit. On 86 and newer this relay is in the main fuse/relay panel. For an 84 such as yours it is "hidden" just below the dash top, at very the far left end above the wiring grounds.With the instrument cluster cover off you can shine a light in there and almost see it.With the fuse panel undone, you can reach up there and lift the relay up out of it's socket. Make note of the orientation to facilitate putting it back. On my 84 the 43 relay is right next to the radiator high speed fan relay so feeling around for it is not enough. The 43 relay is used in all 83+ Vanagons as well as all 198X Golfs, Jettas, and Quantums if they have the level sensor equipped coolant tank.

There are 2 versions of the 43 relay. The older version such as the one that came in your 84 does 2 things if it thinks the coolant is low. It blinks the LED and it pegs the needle on HOT.

The newer version 43 relay that came starting with late 85 models only blinks the LED and leave the temp gauge reading alone. Either version works in all years. A previous owner or repair person could have swapped either version into any year so you can't go by year.

The early version will immediately stop blinking if it thinks the level has become good and the pegged temp needle will drop to normal too. The later version must be reset by turning the key off or once it starts it will blink forever but the temp needle always reads actual engine temp.

Mark