Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:06:33 -0700
From:         MC <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: OEM Pop Top Seals
Comments: To: Melvin Mudgett-Price <mprice@ACMEX.COM>

OK! I read enough about how stupid the Westfalia OE seal is. What is wrong with the seal design? Just one thing. The cost constraint of using spring steel instead say stainless steel. They should at least apply a heavy galvanized coating. Why they didn't use aluminum? Aluminum does not make good spring. When have you see aluminum being used for spring? Have you read about folks who replace the OE seal with after market only to find the seal does not stay put. Someone's AM seal sticks to the roof and he wrote that he will wax the roof to solve the problem.

The pros of the OE seal are: 1) double-lip design for keeping wind noise down. 2) 1-piece pre-glued to the leading edge flat seal. 3) Spring steel for good retention force to the fiberglass top.

There is only one drawback with the OE seal: They should have use stainless steel, or spring steel with heavy-duty galvanized coating.

One of my luggage carrier tie down now rust profusely. The cause is what I found out the hard way. I use West Marine's bungee cord which has stainless steel hooks and left it Pacific NW's rainny winter for months. Stainless steel hook is less reactive than the zinc coating on the tie down (which is cast iron underneath) so the tie down begins to rust when the zinc is consumed as a sacrificial donor.

When I replace the OE seal I plan to apply paint with rust inhibitor to the steel clips to slow down the corrosion progress.

- Vince