Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:35:47 -0700
From:         MC <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: OEM Pop Top Seals
Comments: To: Oxroad@aol.com

Jeff,

You brought up a superior that I failed to mention on the OE seal being the front portion of the pop top seal that has steel spring clip holding it in place. While I was researching for the replacement seal I pay more attention of how the factory seal's design especially the shapes of each portion and their intended functions. I was surprised how much work will take to construct an AM seal to function properly.

I then went to all AM suppliers' website and see what they have to offer. None of them present more than a thumbnail picture of the seal. I also notice many offer the pop top seal without the front "flat seal". Obviously this is due the the unique shape of it's cross section that the garden variety off-the-shelf seals does not come remotely close to this. I have not seen Ron's seal how this is constructed. Even at a very affordable price of ~$70 I didn't feel the odd of meeting my expectation stacks in my favor. I have seen a some AM seal installed on few vehicles I chance to encounter. I was not too impressed with any upon close inspection.

About the luggage seal. It is not meant to totally seal against the roof. The water drains from the fiberglass luggage rack's drilled holes must channels between the rubber seal and the roof because there is no drainage tube. I believe only the frontal portion is meant to seal tight against the roof to prevent whistling. Likewise the gaps on the sides are design to compromise between not to whistle at speed and yet channels water and debries the size that get through the hole diameter of the drainage holes.

My seals are the original ones and they have serviced 15 years. Owing to the very pristine condition of the vehicle I am willing to spring the money for the OE seals. I contacted Jeff at vanagonparts recently and he confirm he can obtain the OE seals from his source in Germany at a significant discount about half of what VW charge. They will ship from Germany and it will take many weeks to arrive.

- Vince

-----Original Message----- From: Oxroad@aol.com [mailto:Oxroad@aol.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 12:42 AM To: gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: OEM Pop Top Seals