Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:20:10 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: OEM Pop Top Seals

Okay, time for my annual poptop seal dissertation... :-)

> The front piece of the OEM seal--that is to say the piece > that crosses the roof at the front of the pop top area--had a > metal clip mechanism--let's say spring clip--the width of the > pop top. This made it more secure in its mounting than the > aftermarket piece in my opinion. The Aftermarket front piece > has no metal and no clipping mechanism at all. I think I may > have used some adhesive on this aftermarket front piece in > the installation. This was a huge two-day PIA to get it right.

This applies to all aftermarket seals except for mine. The one I currently offer, like the OEM one, has a metal clip across the entire width. But unlike the OEM one, the spring clip is made of no-rust aluminum.

> Have you read about folks who replace the OE seal with > after market only to find the seal does not stay put?

I can't remember ever getting a complaint of this happening with my seals. The ones on my own Vanagon have lasted years without moving or drooping. And will continue to, since they do not rust. By comparison the factory seal will start to droop as soon as rust sets in.

> About the luggage seal. It is not meant to totally seal against > the roof. The water drains from the fiberglass luggage rack's > drilled holes must channels between the rubber seal and the > roof because there is no drainage tube. I believe only the frontal > portion is meant to seal tight against the roof to prevent whistling. > Likewise the gaps on the sides are design to compromise > between not to whistle at speed and yet channels water and > debries the size that get through the hole diameter of the > drainage holes.

All vendors besides me ship a fully bulbed seal as a luggage rack seal. The reason they do this is that most of them are selling a generic off-the-shelf weatherstrip as poptop seal (whereas mine is custom-made for this purpose), and are simply lobbing off a little more from the same roll to be used as luggage rack seal. This saves them money/hassle, but it is a bad idea because, like the poptop seal, it is an actual seal, and will completely seal off the bottom of the luggage rack. The original seal is not intended to do this, as it must allow rainwater to drain through the top of the rack and into the rain gutters. It is more of a trimpiece. It does have a little bit of a lip, but not an actual seal. But in the aftermarket there is no such middle-ground. Either the seal has an insulation bulb or it doesn't.

There are two solutions to this: 1) Use a non-bulbed seal or 2) use a bulbed one, but cut it to allow water drainage along the sides. The advantage to the first solution is that it makes it possible to install the seal without loosening or removing the luggage rack. This is good because it can be difficult and time consuming to snug the rack back down once you loosen it, thereby causing a new set of problems. So it's best if you don't have to mess with it. The only difficulty that has ever been reported using a non-bulbed seal is that a very small percentage of users - less than 1 out of every 200 - get wind noise due to wind getting under the front of the luggage rack while driving. Since this happens extremely infrequently, I must assume something unusual about those poptops versus the other 199. My guess is that the luggage rack on those vans is, due to age/wear, sitting just slightly higher off of the roof, causing too much of a gap. One solution is to tighten the rack down and close the small gap. The other is to go to option 2 and use a bubled seal, but trim the bulb on the sides. This will require loosening the luggage rack to install it.

We sell both styles of luggage rack seal. The standard one we ship is bulbless, simply because it's much easier to install, excellent for water drainage, and effective on 99.5% of Vanagons. But we also sell the bulbed variety if you want to start off that way, or in the event that you do get wind noise with the non-bulbed seal.

Speaking of insulation bulbs, the insulation bub used on our poptop seal is located lower on the seal, resulting in a better seal than the other aftermarket ones. This is because ours is designed for use on VW poptops and not just a generic seal. You will not get any water leakage with a Bus Depot poptop seal, even in severe rain.

Finally, cosmetically our seal is closer to stock. Many aftermarket seals are shorter in height, leaving part of the poptop exposed that was covered by the original seal. If you have rust stains from the original seal, the other aftermarket seals may not cover them. My poptop seal is about 1/8" taller than most, and roughly the same height as the original. If you have ever had to remove rust stains, you know that it can be a grueling process to do this even on a couple of feet, much less the entire circumference of a poptop. If my seal covers your rust stains while the other aftermarket ones would not, this could save you half a day's tedious labor. Also, the stock seal is completely smooth, whereas most aftermarket seals have a pebbled finish. While I was unable to get a completely smooth finish, mine is much closer than the textured one sold elsewhere. You hardly notice the difference, and would probably never know at all if you weren't looking at them side by side.

I will try to get pics of our seals up on our site in due time, although I'm not sure you would be able to notice the myriad differences from a small pic. Of course a huge number of listmembers have my seals, so there are probably any number of Vanagon pictures already out there that show these seals as well.

Poptop seals were the Bus Depot's very first product and a lot of time/effort was spent on getting them right. I first tried - and rejected - every single commercially available aftermarket seal before deciding that I would have to design my own. So don't confuse our seals with the other poptop seals out there, which are generally just generic off-the-shelf weatherstrip marketed as "poptop seals." Ours are made to higher specifications and are not available anywhere else.

Off my soapbox ...

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT