Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:12:24 -0600
From:         don spence <dspence@OANET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stalls when hot. won't restart. 1.9 wbx

More warm weather woes. 83.5 wbx. The temp here has been in the low 30's C lately and my westy has developed a new problem. I think my temp gauge reads abnormally high as it reads at least a needle's width above the LED at "normal" operating temp. That said, under the current conditions it rises to maybe a needle's width to the left of the high mark. enough to kick in the fan. I had just driven across down then about 10 km down a 70 kph stretch to the next bedroom community. Coming off a stop light, the engine bogged down and struggle to build revs though it did have power once i got the revs up. Same thing in second and third. Next stop light it stalled as i de-clutched and would not restart. Pushed it around the corner and let it sit for an hour and it started up easily.

Headed for home and all was normal until I hit a construction zone and traffic slowed. Temp gauge climbed again and I had to play toe tag with the brakes and accelerator to keep it running. Stalled again at another red light and same no start, cool down, restart routine.

Got it home and it was doing it again. i did notice that there was more sound coming from the fuel pump than is normal. However that went away on the next restart after cool down. Tank was at the first mark above the red zone.

Any ideas on what might be causing this.

TIA Don