Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:20:02 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: What is the worst design part in the Vanagon

> The Westy's awesome! I can't think of anything > I'd change on mine.

I'd have done these things differently if I were them...

1) Up until Mid-89, the door to the clothes wardrobe would not open if the table were present. In mid-89 they slightly shortened the door so it would clear the table without moving it. Funny that it took them 10 years to think of this obvious change.

2) The original poptop canvas should have had 3 windows/screens like the aftermarket canvas I sell has. Westfalia used a three-window design on early 1970's busses but cheaped out on the Vanagon. It makes a huge difference in terms of ventilation.

3) The P.O. of my Westy put a light with a switch directly above my sliding door. I probably wouldn't have thought to do it myself, but now don't know how I ever lived without it.

4) The front passenger seat should fully recline. This would have allowed it to sleep five instead of four.

5) Too bad they didn't offer a front child's cot for the Vanagon Westy as they did for the Bus. This would have allowed it to sleep 4-1/2 instead of 4. :-)

6) A camper should have cup holders. Odd that they put them on the Multivan but not the full camper. Fortunately these are easy to add.

7) Making the sink faucet pull out with an extsension hose, or adding another one on a hose toward the rear as the Winnie Eurovan has, would have been a nice touch.

That said, I can't think of any vehicle I've ever had that has as much utility packed into such a small space as my Westy. Warts and all - and despite the periodic head gasket issues and other idiosyncracies - I have never once regretted owning it. For everything one that they may have done "wrong," they did a thousand things right!

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT