Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:20:54 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: roadside memorials/ No vanagon content
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>

Mark,

I would suspect that the highway upgrade of the Seward Highway has increased the chances of moose/vehicle accidents. That stretch from Turnagain Pass to Moose Pass used to be narrow winding, twisting, up and down treacherous -but it kept the speeds down relatively speaking. Also the stretch of the Sterling Hiway from the turnoff to so Sterling down to the Kenai Moose Range use to be pretty hairy. But since all the upgrades with the way people drive in Alaska I would expect road kills to have increased. Especially as night begins to close in again as summer wanes. It is easier to see a moose crossing when you are doing 45 than when you are doing 60-70.

BTW, one winter night when it was snowing, and I was driving back down from Anchorage to my home in Soldotna, I encountered a moose in the middle of the curved bridge over Canyon Creek at the turnoff to Hope. I don't know who was more surprised ... the moose or me! It was a good thing no vehicles were coming from the other direction. There is no telling what a moose in that predicament might decide to do. <G>

BTW-BTW - I did see the new Canyon Creek bridge construction before I left. That new center support is awesome. Supposed to be earthquake-shake-n-bake proof (Ha!!) and the first bidge in America to be built on a new standard in bridge building - the metric system. Rumor??? Maybe, but some of my buds at the hiway department were talking about it.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver