Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:58:19 -0400
From:         "Warner, Jeff (DSIO)" <Jeff.Warner@DLA.MIL>
Subject:      Re: Towing a Boat?

Westy Boaters,

Thanks to all for the useful boat towing info. It was just the kind of feedback I was looking for. It would seem that besides the obvious question of can a Westy even do this on flat ground, the bigger question is can you get the boat back out of the water and can you do it without getting the engine wet. I'm going to look at the new money pit tonight. Assuming I buy a boat, I guess I'll take the approach of cautiously sneaking up on the idea of towing it with the Westy. Seems a larger trans cooler would be in order too. Once again the list comes through.

Thanks!

Jeff Warner

Galloway, OH

'86 Wolfy Westy

Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:00:47 -0700 From: Jere Hawn <jghawn@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Re: Towing a Boat?

Hi,

I tow my boat all the time! I've had the boat since 93'. I have a 90 = GL, 305K miles (2nd replacement engine), which pulls a 1975 15ft bow rider fiberglass Cobia, 7 passenger (70 hp outboard) ski boat; single axle trailer. I use the standard hitch (bolted onto the tow loops). I = replaced the tongue of the trailer and added 3 ft (more room for the bike rack = and bikes [4]) Things to watch out for:

1) Going up the grapevine was very slow (40 mph max)

2) When backing in, be careful not to get the engine wet, or even close = to the water. When the belts get wet things go down hill very fast and = make a lot of noise but still works.

3) Buy a tow strap, and put your pride in the glove box. When necessary (once) I have had to ask a 4x4 to pull me and the boat out.

4) don't ride the clutch, I have never worn out a clutch (knock on wood)

5) The fastest the van has ever been was when towing (95 mph) down hill = I 77 in W Virginia.

6) The boat is really heavy until you get it out of the water, so look carefully at the loading ramp before you load up.

7) Practice backing up with a trailer!!! Success should comes with the first try when loading or unloading a boat with a Vanagon.

8) Have patience

9) When I replace the tranny I'm looking for a 5 speed because of the = granny gear. Your automatic should be easy.

Good luck Jere=20