Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:16:21 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: got to fix the cooling system again.
Comments: To: Bike Florida <bikeflorida@EARTHLINK.NET>

I doubt if your current problems have anything to do with the type of coolant/water you installed in your van. It probably has more to do with the age of the components in the cooling system and/or the pressure of the system itself. I would have the coolant tested for hydrocarbons and have the cap for the coolant tank tested.

I don't see any value in replacing only one of the hoses. Unless any of the cooling system hoses have been replaced, they are all at least 15 years old now and have lived beyond there service life, especially those in the engine compartment. You can continue to replace them one at a time every month or so, or do the job right and replace all of them now. The oil cooler is also inexpensive, you might consider replacing it also.

If you lift the rear of the van, you will lose very little coolant when you remove hoses/fittings that connect to the top of the motor/cooling system.

If you want to flush the system, disconnect the large coolant hoses from the plastic lines at the lowest spot, in front of the rear axle and flush both ways with a garden hose. Disconnect the heater lines from the coolant distributor/thermostat housing and flush that loop with a garden hose also.

Good luck,

Tim Bike Florida <bikeflorida@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: Funny how my van lets me know when I have done something wrong, I had a cracked coolant expansion tank last month, bought a new one and filled the system with prestone orange and tap water. I knew all along that I shouldn't put tap water in my bus, and I was itching to remove it. But I figured I would wait 6 months and change it out then. Well, the little bitty hose going to the oil cooler sprung a leak, and I see there is no way to change it without draing half my coolant, so I went the the VW dealer and paid $17 for a jug of the blue stuff, I will put it in with distilled water after I change the hose. Only problem is, I want to flush the system. Do I just stick a garden hose in one of the hoses and flush it through?

Jerry

TJ Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers http://photos.yahoo.com/tjhannink [Vanagon] Album FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon