Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:17:25 -0500
From:         Andy Stalick <andystalick@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Headlight Relay Install Help?

Hello all-

I just bought an '86 MV Weekender, and the previous owner threw in a box of parts he hadn't installed. One bag contains what he said was a headlight relay kit from GoWesty. It has four new lamps for the headlights, all appropriate and new. It also has two Bosh relays and wiring harnesses. It didnt include instructions.

I poked around and read a couple how-to guides on installing these relays, but they referred to wires that were different colors, or didn't exist alltogether.

I *think* that black goes to 12v somewhere, yellow goes to ground, blue goes to the hot wire from the lowbeam switch, and red goes to the headlight itself.

Somewhere in the middle I need to cut the headlight lines and attache one end to blue and the other to red. Mention is made of a yellow and a white wire, which I have, but there is also third wire in the bundle, striped (I forget now if it is yellow/black or white/black)

Here's a few pics of the relays and their harness:

http://www.stalick.net/vw/images/headlight-relay.jpg

If I get this all installed, I'll write it up and post it with photos.