Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:53:59 -0700
From:         Steve Delanty <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Low voltage
Comments: To: Fin Beven <FinBeven@MSN.COM>

Fin, The stock internal regulator in the Bosch alternator is lazy as hell and doesn't keep very good regulation. To make the problem worse, it measures the voltage right at the alternator instead of at the battery, so voltage drop across the wire from alternator to battery compounds the "droopy voltage" problem at high load.

You can disable the internal regulator and use an external Ford style regulator instead. The ford regulator not only woks better, but it has external voltage sense wire, so it can measure the voltage right at the battery instead of back at the alternator. (you need to run a small wire from alternator to battery for this) I performed this conversion back when I still had a WBX, and it made a great difference in battery voltage under a heavy load. Mine was rock stable at around 13.8 volts under most any load. It also made my headlights brighter, and my fridge work better on 12 volts......

It's a common enough conversion amongst Volvo owners. I don't seem to have a link handy, but Google with keywords "bosch alternator" ,"ford regulator", and maybe "volvo" and you should find instructions on how to perform the conversion... it's pretty easy and works *great*.

Steve '86 Westy "Escape Pod" (EJ22) '84 Westy "Yard Furniture" (Blown WBX) '73 Beetle "ain't got a name yet" (just bought it)