Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:05:31 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: monitoring system

> 20 years ago, my father had an electronic engine monitoring system on > his '73 Bus. It monitored fuel flow, speed, etc. and could display all > sorts of > calculations like Gallons Per Hour, Miles Per Gallon, Distance To Empty, and so > forth and display them on its vacuum-fluorescent display. It additionally > operated > as a cruise control unit. Now I've been looking for something similar for > my '90 > Vanagon, but I can't even think what such a beast would be called! Most of the > functions of that device are found built into many mid- to high-end cars > nowadays, > but I haven't been able to find any aftermarket equivalent. Anyone know of > such a > doohickey that one could wire in to a Vanagon?

it was a Zemco trip computer. the ZT-10, most likely. that was the more sophisticated model that would display miles-to-empty, time-to-empty, and keep miles-this-tank and miles-this-trip info. really neat. you could power it with a 9v battery and keep all the data while you removed the battery, too.

a fellow at work has that model in his 78 bus. i have a ZT-4 model in my 88 bus. it only shows mph, mpg (average and instantaneous), and gallons used, and time (clock). also switchable to metric measurements.

but the people who used to make them got bought out by some company that didn't want to make such things anymore. :( and one fellow who used to have a lot of old stock just disappeared. he was out in portland, oregon. anybody in portland ever hear of this guy??

Direct Buyer Service Zemco Trip Computers, P. O. Box 55303 performance analysis computers, Portland, OR 97238 cruise controls, security systems (360) 254-1332

Bob Walters Zemco trip computers, cruise control Sun Distributing P.O. Box 55303 Portland, Oregon 97238 (360) 896-4828

Warren Walters?? on rv chat/message board 2002-02-04. Zemco product and parts by Warren Walters

i haven't been able to find anything like it since. wish i could, i'd love to put a zt-10 in my 91. :)

one thing. it required a small electronic module to hook up to the fuel injection. that module seems to count the clicks of one of the injectors, and used that (after calibration) to figure out how much gas you were using. for carb models, you had a small 'water meter' gizmo that you spliced into a fuel line and attached a sensor wire. it had a revolving thingie inside and the wire told the computer how many revolutions the thingie made per gallon. or some such.

unca joel