Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:57:28 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: My Last Words On Brake Lines
Comments: To: Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>

There is nothing wrong with cautions to be sure to do a proper job or leave it to the experts. Mathew's post was about the rigid metal lines but your first reply was about rubber lines. I doubt he plans to make those too. I agree that most owners should stay away from making lines of either type. Making the metal lines is far from rocket science though and with the proper tools and a little practice a decent mechanic can make them just fine, even a home mechanic. I make them by purchasing generic longer brake lines of the right diameter and fittings. Then I cut one end off and put the fitting back at the proper length for my application. My flare tool came from a large white tool purveyor's truck It said Snap-something-or-other on the side. I practiced with it until I could readily duplicate the shape of the "factory" flare on the newly purchased line.

The logical extension of your warnings would mean that owners should do almost nothing on their own vehicles. Even improperly changing a wiper blade could lead to an accident and liability. Maintaining proper tire pressure is a safety issue also. Pay an expert to do this or incur the liability? Where do we draw the line?

Mark