Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:23:11 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Lifter Noise
Comments: To: Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>

After quite some time attempting to determine exactly what conditions led to the situations that I experienced the syndrome I related it back to two events... ----------------------- Clip ------------------------------------ What causes the lifters to initially make noise is very simple. The lifters have a hole in one side for oil to drain out and lube the lifter bore. The lifters are lying on their side and they will drain off the oil. The situation isn't as pronounced in a V8 or I 4/I 6 because the lifters still hold most of their oil. New lifters will still make some noise but there are some rare circumstances that they don't click on startups. I find after the initial start up my lifters are quiet for subsequent startups throughout the day. If you have low oil pressure it might take a little longer for the lifters to get quiet, hence the 29/50 or 15/50 oil is a help. As for the Marvel Mystery oil, I think it cleans the sludge out of old lifters and helps to build presure quicker without the sludge. I've heard that steel and iron filings along with other new engine breakin debris can get captured in lifters and impair their operation. (I've never found any in lifters that I've taken apart.)

Stan Wilder www.engineceramics.com