Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:03:28 -0700
From:         Rob Campbell <rob@PHEMP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Any user reviews on the BusDepot Ezy-Awning?
Comments: To: BA <ande@SAN.RR.COM>

Hello-

I have one and keep meaning to prepare a formal review, but I haven't taken the pictures yet.

Its hefty, but not prohibitively heavy. I can't imagine it drastically affects fuel economy, certainly not as much as the "spare tire" a passenger may carry on himself or herself.

Overall, I think this is a great value. It is a good way to get your foot into the awning door, without spending a fortune. It is sturdy, and the dome-esque design makes a lot of sense.

I will say though that it is not all that EZ. Its not rocket science either, but it helps to have an extra person in putting it together, and if its hot and sunny while you are putting it up, and the helper hasn't done it before, its tempting to just do it yourself rather than explain. If you are camping in a dusty area, its difficult to construct it without laying everything down in the dust.

Its designed like cheap outdoor equipment; the made in China type stuff you would get at [insert your favorite corporate superstore], not like fine backpacking gear designed to be pleasant to use (which is understandable given the price). This means the connections are sturdy, but they are not graceful. Some examples of what I mean here: The storage bags use ribbons which you literally tie closed, rather than the nearly ubiquitous drawsting/codlock found on nearly every stowsack out there, from tents to folding chairs. Connections are secured with wingnuts or thmbscrews... While effective and cheap, these are not very elegant.

The construction process is cumbersome, but it does work very well in the end. And the end result is a fine awning which seems like it would perform well in fairly bad weather. Its simple to stake down the feet (stakes are included) or tie/weigh them down if you are not in an area where staking will work. The poles are heavy duty - this is a mixed curse. I'm not so worried about them bending or breaking, but they also seem overkill and kludgy.

The pros of this product are:

-Price. Certainly difficult to find a better value. I don't expect there is anything better, or even comparable, at this price. Perhaps a scratch-built system by a gifted designer would come in at less, but to be fair most of us are not able to do this.

-Nothing on the exterior of your van. This is important to me, for now anyway. Day may come where I don't mind drilling holes and having a box strapped to the side of my van. For now, this was actually the reason I chose the EZ-Awning.

-Sturdy. The poles are pretty beefy, and the arched design seems like rain buildup will not be a problem.

-Simple to store. If you keep the tarp section seperate, the poles and hardware all fit easily in that little shelf behinf the AC intake without "blocking" it. I then keep the tarp either under the bench seat, or in the way-back with other cargo. 2 stow sacks are included; one for the poles and one for the tarp, making this simple.

The cons:

-Assembly is not that bad once you are used to it, but it is difficult to explain to helpers and the included instructions are not so great.

-The bolts which attach it to the rain gutter are awkward to install, though they do work well and allow the sliding door to open and close properly.

-Overall cheap feel, it feels more like low grade kamping technology from the 70s than a modern piece of engineering

All of that being said, the value is fantastic, and the cons are really not that bad.

I'll mention that when I ordered mine, it was missing the brackets to attach it to raingutter and also the instructions. Make sure you check it out before you go camping the first time. Busdepot was rapid in correcting this mistake and the parts arrived immediately after they were contacted. I've had excellent experiences with BusDepot in all of my orders with them.

Here is my report card for the product:

Ease of assembly: C Comfort once erected: A Materials: C- Durability: A/B (not fully tested) Overall Value: A+

Overall Grade: B