Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:06:33 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      using Tach with auto tranny (AT)

I also want to add a tach to my 2.1 equipped Westy. I have an old tach just sitting on my dash for temporary monitoring, and find it quite useful in the mountains especially. I recently spent some miles on back roads in West Virginia. I found in certain situations I could be in either 3rd or 2nd at exactly the same rpms. The difference being the torque converter slipping (or converting torque) in 3rd vs. less slipping in 2nd. It sure feels like being in 2nd is easier on the drive train in that situation. Opinions on that point? How much heat does the torque converter create when it is working hard?

I also like the tach to remind me how fast the engine is turning on the highway. The wbx is so smooth and quiet and so far away, it is easy to end up cruising at well over 4000 rpms, which I don't like to do.

I have a 2" VDO oil pressure gauge and am looking for a decent 2" tach to put in a little gauge cluster in my van. Anybody had success with this they would like to share?

Edward

At 02:06 AM 7/24/2004, you wrote: >BTW, I have a 3 speed automatic 1.9L and I just ordered a tach to >monitor the engine when I charge up and down steep hills in >mountainous campgrounds. When I'm going up steep hills in 1st or 2nd >gears, what RPM should I keep the engine at? I'm talking about hills >that I go over at a max of 30mph with the accelerator floored, usually >cruising in the 20mph to 25mph range with the van working really hard. > Same question for going downhill. I burned out a transmission going >down a dirt road in low gear a couple of years ago and got stranded in >a town of 75 people during the opening weekend of duck hunting season. > (I don't hunt).