Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:37:04 -0700
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stuck brakedrum
Comments: To: jens.jakob.andersen@POST.DK

From: "Jens Jakob Andersen" <jens.jakob.andersen@POST.DK> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 1:48 PM Subject: Stuck brakedrum

>Hi > >I need some easy tips on how to loosen stuck brakedrum. > >Just BANG it REALLY hard with BIG MALLET? > >Or is there other way?

Standard instructions here:

Remove 2 small bolts holding drum to hub. Back off adjuster star several turns so drum won't hang up on shoes. Smack the flat face of the drum, right at the drum's circumference. Use a small (3 - 5 lb.) hand sledge, work around the circumference with light blows, working your way up to harder blows as necessary. You won't hurt the drum, unless you're Superman. The rust bond between the drum and hub will eventually break.