Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:06:47 -0400
From:         Matt Bennett <matsuwesty@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Subject: 3.3 verses 4.3 ???

Hi All, Has anyone installed a GM 4.3 Vortec Engine into their Bus? What type of clearance do you have, top and bottom? What problems did you have with the installation? Also, Does anyone have any thoughts on the 4.3 Compared to the 3.3 as far as our application? Torque, HP, ease of installation, costs, longevity? thanks, John C...verses

Subaru SVX: Engine Specifications: 3.3 Liter 6 cylinder 24 valve DOHC Boxer engine. 230 horsepower @ 5400 rpm Torque: 228 @ 4400 rpm Sequential Multiport fuel injection with dual spray injectors Platinum-tipped spark plugs Computerized management system with "Limp Home feature," incl. over-rev protection, monitors fuel injection and ignition.

Vortec 4300 4.3L V-6 Specifications

Displacement: 4300cc Assembly Site: Romulus, Michigan Horsepower: 190-195 hp @ 4400-4600 rpm Torque: 250-260 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm Applications: GMC Sierra/Chevrolet Silverado Chevrolet S-10/GMC Sonoma GMC Safari/Savanna Chevrolet Astro/Express ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- - John, If you look at the weight of the two engines I think you'll find that the GM motor is at least 100 pounds heavier. Also, the GM motor is a bit of a "boat anchor", it has decent torque, but not much performance. The SVX motor is more high-tech and a better motor. I guess it boils down to:

Price...........the GM motor will probably be cheaper Availablity.....GM's are everywhere in the USA Dependability...it will depend on the condition of the motor you purchase, but overall I think the Subaru comes out on top Ease of installation....the Subaru fits in there like it was made for it. The GM motor will take some work and maybe a box on top to fit. Makes it hard for folks that like to sleep in their vans. Fabrication of parts to make it work........there are a couple sources for SVX to Vanagon parts, but GM to Vanagon is scarce. Resale..........I think you would have better resale with the SVX motor, especially after you see one in a van (nice!).

This is just my opinion, but I've been studying the options for a few years. I installed a 2.2L Subaru motor in mine over 2 years ago and would never go back, it's great. Matt

Matsuwesty Adventures: http//:home.earthlink.net/~matsuwesty FAVOR Vanagon Club: http//:home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon