Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:01:26 -0400
From:         Bob O'Shaughnessy <oshaug@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What snaps? Was: Passing another Westfalia

   My lovely wife's grandmother told me that she once sat over the open engine lid of their family's Chevy Greenbriar for a trip home in the dark operating the throttle.

   My past accelerator cable problems had to do with wintertime freezeups when the metal tube in which the cable travels fills with ice causing the throttle to stick wide open.  *Not fun*

   I was able to fix the problem by re-fitting the rubber grommets that had fallen off both ends of the tube and filling the tube with WD-40.

  The cable did eventually rust out and I had to replace it.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the replacement cable was coated in Teflon or some such to keep it both moving, and protected from rust.  I consider this a mandatory  upgrade on any of my vans.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:44:25 -0400, Edward Maglott <emaglott@buncombe.main.nc.us> wrote: > I have even heard of folks with broken accelerator cables enlisting a 2nd > person to sit over the open engine bay and operate the throttle by > hand. Now that is scary! > > There is a connection at the front under the pedal that is where you make > one of the adjustments. The end of the cable is a metal rod, that gets > pinched by a bolt to hold it in the right place. This might have pulled > out if the bolt was not tight enough. Otherwise I am guessing the cable > itself, or something else under the pedal assembly. Not too hard to work > on. Take out the spare tire, put some cardboard under there on the spare > tire holder, and you have a nice easy chair to recline on while working on it. > > Edward > > > > At 04:13 PM 7/25/2004, you wrote: > > >I was wondering what is it that is prone to "letting go" in the chain of > >components under the circumstances I described? All the bits and pieces are > >shown in Bently section 20.31. Could be something as simple as one of the > >pins or bolts. > > > >I am now safely at home and do not intend any further use of my "hand > >accelerator". > > > >Phil > >'89 Westy >

-- Bob O'Shaughnessy oshaughnessy@mac.com http://oshaughnessy.typepad.com