Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:35:51 -0700
From:         MC <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Shady Boy Awning - Update
Comments: To: caverat <caverat@COMCAST.NET>

Thanks to all that responded with their positive experience.

I installed mine on Friday afternoon. Because I have a huge Thule Westy roof rack I could not use the SS brackets it shipped with. I fashioned a 10" long steel bar that, when combined with 2 socket head bolts and the awning casing, acts as a clamp against the foot of the roof rack.

I then proceed to deploy the awning. It is awesome! Every thing is perfect. All fabric fit onto each fiber pole with just the right amount of tension. The entire awning is cantilevered from the aluminum case. I now really appreciate the strength of every thing especially the poles and pole attachment points. Imagine that an entire 80 sq. ft. of awning is cantilever. Also image taking all the poles and try to deflect them in the same degree when the awning is set up. There is al lot of static force. The two guy ropes each exerts 6/7 lbs at outer corners.

I use a big industrial fan to simulate stiff breeze for testing it's performance. It withstand it very well.

I am updating my site and will have the pictures coming soon.

- Vince