Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:42:59 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Diesels
Comments: To: laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM

I for one LOVE the smell of Diesel fuel, but I don't like the smell of Diesel soot. I have to admit though that the TDI is a *VERY* clean motor. I never see any black smoke out the back and after a 1000 km trip there is just a small trace of soot on the back of the vehicle. If a vehicle is belching out black smoke it isn't running right. Black smoke is unburnt Diesel coming out the pipe - if the driver slacked off the accelerator pedal to the point of the smoke being only a trace then they would find they have the same pulling power - it is all the adjustment of the injector pump (or add most boost to compensate for the extra fuel available). People think more Diesel is better when it isn't - it is just wasteful and hard on the environment when it comes out the exhaust pipe. I have my TDI 'tricked out' a bit and it has significantly more power then stock, still, when going up big hills and the like there is NO visible smoke coming out the rear. The only time I get smoke is full acceleration below 1500 RPM where the turbo hasn't spooled up yet and that is just a slight puff of smoke. I feel I am doing my part to make this world a better place - can't speak for the big rigs that arn't adjusted correctly.

You are right, veggie Diesel is fantastic stuff - biodegradable soot, better lubrication of the injector pump, green house gas neutral.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.