Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:17:43 -0700
From:         Rusty Zarse <rustyzarse@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: woe is me

I can't find a web page i recently ran across that showed and described how to pull dents using nails. (the page was some dude who had a vanagon with an engine swap and either a porsch or a ghia).

The jist of it is that you drill a small hole to start a nail in each of the low spots on the panel. Insert the end of a nail and weld the nail in place. Now, using vice grips, pliers, elbow grease and some patience, pull and bend the metal back into place. Get it as close as possible to shape. clip off and grind down the nail until smooth. Proceed with metal preparation and paint. You'll need a little bondo.

I will keep looking as the photos made it so clear even an idiot like me would feel comfortable giving it a go. My father in law recently sprayed his wife's and daughter's cars (like mother, like daughter) with the newer clear coat paint available at auto body supply. These new coatings are easier to work with. You need a matching base coat (color) and then the clear cloat which consists of two components, one being an activator. This dried so smooth I was absolutely floored with the results. So much, I plan to spray my westy when the time comes. Of course, I'll probably paint a splattered sun across the front and clouds dripping down the side, ala salvador dali. I hope i didn't just lose all credibility with that last bit...

Kudos to you for your chivalry! I agree that aging people should not drive as late as they typically do but, let's face it, any woman.. er, sorry, person... has at one time backed into something and said, "oh, #&@% !" Several years ago, I had two claims in the same year (one my fault, the other not) and no one suggested I hang up my keys!

Good luck. I will keep looking for that website.