Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:33:25 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Any user reviews on the BusDepot Ezy-Awning?

Rob, thank you for your detailed review of the Ezy-Awning. I am happy to see that you gave it an "A+" for value and seem to be happy with the product.

There were several design criteria for the Ezy-Awning:

1) It could not require any modification of the van whatsoever. Like many people, I'll probably only use my awning maybe 20 or 25 times a year. Personally I don't want to drill permanent holes in my van, and drive around with a big appendage bolted to the side of it during the other 340 days of the year that I'm not using it.

2) It had to be small and light, so that it could be easily stored in the van all the time. If it's always in the van, you'll always have it handy. If you have to remember to lug it out from the garage before you leave, you may not. The whole thing packs into a bag about half the size of a typical "folding-chair-in-a-bag" (or can be split into the two included bags for even tighter packing), and weighs roughly as much as two laptop computers.

3) It had to be useable without staking down for use on asphalt (tailgating, swap meets, etc.). The hinged feet with optional weights eliminate the need for stakes or guy ropes. We will also have, in the near future, a very tiny optional accessory that allows the poles to either connect right to the van's jackpoints, or under the front wheels so the weight of the van holds the awning down. While the foot weights are better for heavy wind (due to the poles going straight down to the ground, which is sturdier), this will conveniently allow connection directly back to the van for sun shade, milder rainstorms, etc.

4) It had to be sturdy despite its portability. The domed roof is the perfect solution, because the biggest strain on a conventional flat awning is the gallons of water that pool up on the roof and make it sag during a heavy downpour, easily tripling the weight that the frame has to bear. You commented that the poles were so heavy duty that they "seem like overkill." I disagree; I think this would have been the worst place to skimp. The poles are as heavy duty as was possible without creating excessive size/weight, and I think that was the right decision.

5) It had to be inexpensive, so that even the periodic user could justify the investment. Since you said, "I don't expect there is anything better, or even comparable, at this Price," I'd say we accomplished this. (The basic version is just $119.) You commented that the construction is sturdy but not graceful, and I concur. It's designed for functionality, and compromises such as wingnuts instead of thumbscrews kept costs down without affecting ease of use, cosmetics, or durability. To me these were better cost-cutting alternatives to compromising pole strength, etc. Not that I'd claim the Ezy-Awning to be bulletproof - it's an inexpensive awning, after all - but as you noted it's very robust for its price.

6) It had to be easy to assemble. You found is less so than I do, but I suspect that once you've used it a few more times it will get much easier. In using mine, I found there to be a definite learning curve in terms of assembly. My first time took half an hour and was a bit frustrating; my sixth time I had it up in about five minutes. It basically goes up like a dome tent. Two flexible poles criss-cross the roof. A rigid pole then spans the side attaches to the van, and another spans the opposite side where the legs drop down.

We will continue to introduce more options for the Ezy-Awning, which can be added later if you already own one. The one I mentioned before, for attaching it to your jackpoints or under your tires, is coming soon. Another will allow attachment to a Eurovan Camper without the need to install a rain gutter. Also, the optional suction cups (already available) let you use it on a non-VW vehicle, or off of the rear of a Vanagon (either for shelter while doing repairs, or in cases where you have an obstruction or side tent that prevents side-mounting). This weekend we used the suction cups to attach the Ezy-Awning to my friend's minivan while my side tent was on my Vanagon.

The Ezy-Awning was designed to be an inexpensive, ultra-portable, multipurpose awning solution that does not require drilling. As such it is completely different from either a Shady-Boy or a big Fiamma awning. It's not for everyone, but I think does more things for more people than any other solution, at a cost that anyone can justify.

You can find more details and pics at: <http://busdepot.com/busdepot/details/awning.jsp>

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT