Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:23:11 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shipping a transmission cross country - looking for ideas
Comments: To: "jdbs3@netzero.com" <jdbs3@NETZERO.COM>

I'm not qualified to comment on this ..... there, does that incite confidence to continue reading? VBG My tranny's were prepped and shipped by Karl Wolz from PHX to Daryl's AATransaxle near Seattle. I'm pretty sure Karl did a spectacular job by building a wood palate to put the 2 tranny's on then band them to the palate. Not sure if they were covered with anything but when you consider the entire lot weighed close to 300lbs. probably not much concern for them getting turned over as in upside down. If you build a large enough device it's going to demand a certain kind of handling and that may dictate increased safety. What I can say is that Daryl was very impressed with the job Karl did, saying something like he'd never seen these shipped with better preparation. Again, spectacular is a barely adequate term to describe the great job Karl did. I would NOT suggest using cardboard. This thing weights about 125 lbs.? Is that about right. That combined with cardboard do not make good bedfellows. bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "jdbs3@netzero.com" <jdbs3@NETZERO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 10:54 AM Subject: Shipping a transmission cross country - looking for ideas