Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:03:41 -0700
From:         Larry Edson <sonofed@KARMANNGHIA.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Shipping a transmission cross country - looking for ideas

A coworker once received a motercycle engine, or maybe it was a tranny, in a box that I'm sure the sender felt was well packed. When it arrived the box looked like it had been put in a cement mixer to tumble around for awhile and, needless to say, it came out as a big paper weight. The main problem was that styrofoam pellots were used.

I've shipped a lot of car parts and never had anything arrive damaged. But I've also learned from the experience of professional packers. Here in San Jose we have several outlets of a store called JDM that specializes in boxes and other packaging supplies and also will do packaging and shipping for the customer. If you don't have such a store around check with U-Haul, although they're bound to be more expensive. The first secret I've learned from these people is how to make a box of a particular size when none exists. Basically you find a box that's too big, cut it in half, and push the top down onto the bottom as far as it will go. The second secret is to find a bunch of old styrofoam packaging from TVs or computers or whatever and stuff it on all sides of the part. You might also fold up extra pieces of cardboard to help fill in space. Once you get it all packed make sure you have plenty of strong tape to keep the box intact. If your box is too big for UPS or USPS try Greyhound as they accept larger packages.

Larry sonofed@karmannghia.org www.ghiatwins.homestead.com O o\ /o O

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Automatic digest processor wrote: > Shipping a transmission cross country - looking for ideas > > Any suggestions on the best way to package a transmission for shipping it by > UPS cross country? My current plans are to use a double-walled corrugated > box, and surround the transmission with Styrofoam on the sides. > > Questions: > > - Where to find such a box?? > > - What to fill the box with so if the box is turned over the transmission > remains immobile? > > - Would crating it be better? Of so, where to find crates for such a > thing?? > > All suggestions appreciated. > > thanks, Joe, who wants to see it get there undamaged