Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:40:24 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: More Woe is me !!

If you have a high school or technical school that teaches auto body repair near you, you have a couple of options there; first, you could get on their waiting list and have the whole thing done. Our program did this when I was in school, and they didn't charge any labor charges (in the case of the high school, it was illegal), this was of course 'in exchange', as it were, for the students getting their experience in on your vehicle. Nevertheless, we had all the proper equipment and a skilled instructor (who was otherwise a reprehensible person, but that's another story), and you wound up with a properly done job, although it took a while. Another option would be to have them just pull the frame, if it needs it, and make an outside deal with one of the more experienced students to have them come on their own time and do the detailed metal work (or even the rest of it, as well) for you. We used to do this a lot for various people that just needed some panel and paint work without any cutting, welding or pulling. If you ask around, you'll find out which kids are really good- we had a senior that won a statewide body-shop competition in which they had two hours to completely work and paint a dented-in car door; it was pretty amazing to see.

Anyway, some creative thinking along these lines could get you some quality work done inexpensively.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "J. Stefanovich" <jstef@FLASH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 11:17 AM Subject: More Woe is me !!

Thanks for all the advice on the insurance angle with this problem but filing the claim with her insurance is really out of the question unless she absolutely insists. When my wife died unexpectedly several years ago this lady took care of my kids day after day while I made all the arrangements and had been lots of help to me since. I never charge her for anything I do for her. What I really need is advice on how to proceed fixing this myself. I have a little experience doing body work - bondo stuff - and own most tools, but I've never done anything this major before. My first question is whether I should try to fix what is there or start should I start looking for new metal. The corner is pushed back just enough so the door pinches when I try to open it.

http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/v149/skerarro/

I just installed Mailwasher Pro several days ago. I don't know whether this is the reason I am making multiple posts of the same message or what.

Thanks

Joe/Albuquerque