Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:54:58 -0700
From:         Dave Rogers <bikeguy184@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re Experiment

In the days when I had 2 kids in college & worked 2 jobs I ran a rural paper delivery route with an aircooled bug. I drove the same mileage every night & filled up at the same gas station at 24 hr intervals. I noticed on rainy nights I always got better gas mileage, maybe 3 or 4 mpg better. I considered trying to rig something up, either a drip system or an atomizer but my time was very limited & I never got it done. I think windshield washer pumps were used on some jury rigged systems of the times & I think more frequent oil changes were advised with the systems although I can't remember why. Jim,

The only down side I can think of is if something goes wrong, either with the engine running or while parked (more likely scenario is while van is parked). If for some reason your injector/s or water valve fail or leak at all and too much water is allowed to enter the engine, you could end up with hydraulic lock. That is sure to cause some problems. Best case, you can't crank the engine. Worst case, you bend something expensive.

While I think that the chances of something like this happening are remote, you did ask if any harm could be done.

Interestingly, I was watching the Formula 1 race this past weekend, and they were talking about water injection (it might have been during qualifying that they were talking about it). Originally water injection was used in plane engines during WWII. The Formula 1 guys adopted it during the turbo era, but the F1 gods quickly banned it.

During the F1 turbo era, water injection was used primarily to cool the combustion chambers because temperatures had gone out of control. However, the F1 engineers also discovered that they could get power gains from using the water injection. The TV commentators said (they said, not me) that even the engineers weren't quite sure why they were getting power gains. There was speculation that it had to do with the extra oxygen introduced into the combustion chamber (the high temperatures and pressures would cause the water molecules to break into their basic hydrogen and oxygen components). I find the whole topic pretty interesting.

Now there is one area where I don't feel that water "injection" has been exploited to nearly the extent that it can be. Any turbo motor with an intercooler could benefit from a very, very fine cooling mist of water shot across the surface of the intercooler under high boost conditions. This would go far to cool the intake charge.

We also know that in many forms of drag racing (or all (?), I'm not a drag racing fan) nitrous injection is banned. Some clever builders have set up nitrous spray bars in front of their intercoolers on turbo motors (primarily on the newer import cars). Talk about a shot of cold air! Now this is legal because they aren't actually introducing the nitrous into the intake track. They are just using it to cool your intake charge as it passes through the intercooler. Unfortunately, this would hardly be practical on a street car.

Well, this if probably far more than you wanted to know.

At any rate, what is your goal with your water injection? Are you after cooler temperatures? Are you looking for more power? I'd like to hear more about what you are doing. By the way, if you want a really high pressure water pump, try a headlight washer pump from an Audi. They put our some pressure.

Keep us up to date.

Cheers, Bruce motorbruce motorbruce@hotmail.com