Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:17:00 -0400
From:         "Georgios A. Stylianides, PhD" <gstylia@TEMPEST.COEDU.USF.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 87 syncro water temperature sender
Comments: To: MilosKitchen <sagmoore@zoominternet.net>

oops, apologies to Mark in order. I read everything except "This info does not all apply to 2wd Vanagons, only Syncros" Thank you Dave!

gs

MilosKitchen wrote:

>Hello Georgios, >As Mark pointed out, on a Syncro it is a different, smaller sensor. It >threads into the housing with pipe threads (no O'ring) and has one wire >only. It is not the one pictured on the provided Bus Depot page. >Dave Milo > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf >Of Georgios A. Stylianides, PhD >Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 10:24 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: 87 syncro water temperature sender > > >dittos on Mark's description with one exception. The Temperature Sender >to the Gauge has 2 wires (Yellow/Red, Brown) with two terminals and the >Temp II Sender has 3 wires (2 white wires #10 & #48 and 1 brown wire) >with two terminals. >The Temp to Gauge is black & round and the Temp II is blue & square. > >I had the exact same problem. My Temp Sender to Gauge was 20 years old >and it got bad (leaking through). In my case, one of the terminals was >half broken off too and they are not easy to find. I have an 86 vanagon. > >The Temp Sender to Gauge is located 90 degrees straight forward from the >Temp II on the thermostat. Make sure you change the o-ring too. > >Check Busdepot.com with a picture at >http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=251919501 > >If it is not the Sender, it may be the Instrument Voltage >Regulator/Stabilizer on the dashboard. >http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=357919803 > >georgios > >--- >It is a separate sender for the gauge. It is very small and threads into >the lower metal half of the thermostat housing. It is difficult to see >from the engine compartment. You need to lie on your back under the >driver's side cylinder head area. The housing bolts to the front of the >head, front being front of the car. The gauge sender is 1 wire, the Temp >II uses 2 wires and is nearby. The same single wire sender is used on >millions of other VWs from the early/middle 80s so they cost little and >are easy to find. This info does not all apply to 2wd Vanagons, only >Syncros. > >Mark >--- > >Hans Achter wrote: > > > >>Hi all, >>My temperature gauge quit working and I am trying to figure out where it >> >> >gets the signal from. I always thought that there was a temperature sender >and the Temp Sensor II was a separate temperature sensor for the fuel >injection. Does the Temp Sensor II also send the signal for the dash >temperature gauge? > > >>-Hans >>87 syncro >> >> >> >> >> > > > >

-- Georgios A. Stylianides, Ph.D. Director, Applied Biomechanics Laboratory School of Physical Education, Wellness, & Sport Studies University of South Florida 4202 East Fowler Avenue, PED214 Tampa, FL 33620-8600 813 974-4716 office 813 974-1698 lab 813 974-3443 main office 813 974-4979 fax gstylia@coedu.usf.edu http://pe.usf.edu/~stylianides/

***

NOTICE: This email is intended only for the person(s) named above and may contain information that is personal, privileged, and confidential. Any distribution, copying, or disclosure is legally prohibited by both national and international laws. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender and destroy the initial email and any attachments. Thank you. Personal 'communicative' emails are not public records.

For more legal and privacy details visit: http://pe.usf.edu/~stylianides/email.html

***