Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:22:26 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Radiator pipe upgrade
Comments: To: Data Services <dataservices@COMCAST.NET>

This is very doable. Actually there is a writeup on doing this swap in the Bentley on page 19.7A with part numbers of hoses and pipes you will need. I just did this swap on a customer's 85 Vanagon that had super rusty metal pipes. It is not a fun job. In fact after CV joint work of any kind it ranks as my number two Vanagon job I hate the most. There is no way not to get multiple baths in antifreeze no matter how many ways or times you try to drain the system. There are still low spot in the pipes that you will be removing that will harbor more than enough coolant to give you that "oh so fresh" feeling as it is running down your arm or splashing into your eyes or even trickling into your ear (BTDT).

To remove the old pipes the last time I used a sawzall to cut the old ones up a bit and make them easier to remove. You are throwing them away anyhow so who cares. To be ultra-safe you should probably drop the gas tank. I didn't do this and vowed the next time that I would (you have to cut or grind metal above the gas tank, not a good plan for long life).

There are about 20-30 tie wraps and clamps holding the old pipes in place which you will need to remove/loosen to get them out including some that are above the gas tank. Have a nice set of side cutters (dykes) handy and cut away. Even after you think that there could not possibly be one more tie wrap I guarantee you will find two more.

After the pipes are free and you have cut off the rear section of them you should be able to slide them to the rear of the van and get them out from above the tank.

Now you need to make the opening that the pipes go through larger. The Bentley gives you exact specs. I used a sawzall again and then when I got close to the size I wanted I ground the edges so that they were not longer sharp. You could put some trim around the new opening to help the pipes not to chafe but if you tighten them up properly then you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Putting the pipes in is fun. Kind of like a chinese finger puzzle. Put one in first and then twist and turn the other one around and push it toward the front of the van. You may have to push the first pipe farther forward than it is supposed to end up just to get the other one in place but you will see what I mean when you are doing it.

After the pipes are in place then tie-wrap away. Just like VW put 20-30 tie wraps on these pipes, you need to do the same thing to the new ones. I tie wrap them to each other, to the floor of the van to other hoses, etc. When you get done the pipes should not move. You will need two new radiator hoses in the front. The plastic pipes have a bit larger diameter than the metal pipes. Since you have a Tiico, then you will not need new hoses in the rear. Your Tiico hoses were actually made for the plastic pipes in the first place so they will fit better on the plastic pipes than they did on the metal (they are a little too big for the metal in case you hadn't already noticed). If you have a 1.9l watercooled then you will also need two new coolant hoses for the rear. The Bentley has the complete hose list or you can call me and I can get these for you.

Put on the new hoses, bleed the system and you should be up and running again. You might also want to take a good look at your rear heater core "T"s while you are under the van. Your old ones are probably metal and rusted too. I have new ones that are plastic for not too much money. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242