Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:11:38 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon eBay - Funny
Comments: To: motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM

Yo, Bruce, you don't mention the amount of alcohol involved :)

Bob

----Original Message Follows---- From: Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM> Reply-To: Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Vanagon eBay - Funny Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:27:45 -0500

All Hungry Vanagon Owners,

I have a much better suggestion. I have a book titled, "Manifold Destiny" (ISBN 0-679-72337-4, copyright date 1989). As you might imagine from the title, it is dedicated to cooking on your engine. It is written a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it is legit. Of course they have many safety disclaimers and suggestions. However, there are a lot of really good, workable recipes for meals on the road.

Shortly after my wife and I were married, we drove from Austin, Texas to Albuquerque. We left in the evening, before dinner. Of course I had planned in advance, so I had my handy cookbook with me. I was well prepared. I decided to give give capered lamb a shot.

Using some heavy duty, disposable, pre-formed aluminum foil type baking pans, heavy duty aluminum foil, and some bailing wire we were all set. Fortunately for the cooking (unfortunately for the trip) we were driving a late 80's Chrysler LeBaron Turbo. Horrible car, but the turbo was fairly easy to access. I prepared the food per the recipe, strapped it down to the turbo, and off we went. We made one stop so that I could use some bar-b-que tools to turn the meat. An hour or so later (I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was a bit longer than the book suggested), we came upon a nice rest area.

The hood was opened and the bar-b-que tools were once again put into action. I pulled the pan from the top of the turbo. No spilling. No mess. No clean-up (who wants to clean up a hot turbo anyhow?). We had a marvelous hot dinner of capered lamb and whatever else it was that my wife had prepared ahead of time.

Now, we did get a lot of strange looks from other folks at the rest area, but hey, they were probably relegated to peanut butter and jelly. My brother-in-law thought that this was a pretty dubious endeavor. He declined the lamb. Too bad for him. That was one of the most memorable meals that I have ever had (this could be part of the reason my sister and brother-in-law are getting divorced). A WHOLE lot better than typical road food.

Given the configuration of the engines on our Vanagons, whether WBX, air-cooled, Subbie, in-line 4, diesel, or, like mine, Porsche 6-cylinder, I wonder what dishes would be best cooked on each engine type, and where the optimum placement for the food would be for best heating. I think that the obvious answer for all Vanagons of any engine configuration would be a rump roast! Now that would make any trip memorable.

Cheers & Happy Eating! Bruce motorbruce motorbruce@hotmail.com

P.S. This is ALL a true story. I instigated it and was the lead participant. This is not an urban legend!