Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:24:04 -0700
From:         MC <gipsyflies@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shady Boy Awning - Punctures
Comments: To: Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>

Stephen,

I have indeed bought and installed my Shady Boy. I am very impressed with the clearly very thoughtful design, the uses of very best material, and the superb workmanship. The attentions to details can be found in every aspect. For example, the proper clearance to the top of the front door, The optimum width of the awning WRT to Vanagon length, The use of stainless steel and 6061 aluminum tubing and milled/machined blocks. Needing mention are the high quality faberglass battens (poles).

May be my concern with the fabric tearing is unwarranted. The fabric is not your common cheap material found in low cost tents but the very best I've seen. Because it is so thin you cannot help but wonder if it will fair well under such intense tension. On the other hand I am very familiar with the modern sail cloth's extreme tentile strength.

Given Wolfgang is such a perfectionist I have no reason to think he under-design the cloth and the batten pockets.

This awning is like high performance sports gears require good care in operation and avoid abrasion.

- Vince