Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:17:44 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Source for rebuilt 2.1lt engines?
Comments: To: David Shepherdson <shepherdsond@METRO.DST.OR.US>

The AVP engine is a "safe choice", by that i mean the following (I have spoken to the people in charge there, very nice by the way):

Most parts use in their "Rebuilt" engine are "average" to good, of course in all depend on availability at the time being. On Roadhaus http://www.benplace.com/roadhaus.htm

We had rebuilt VW heads and not AMC, compression is on the low and safe side, around 120 to 140 (that is the only problem i have with that particular engine, even if you use cheaper or more average parts, 120 is to low! But AVP confirm that 130+ or so is the norm on safe rebult engine. On a syncro you will feel that lost/low compression powerwise. In the one am working on right now (87 GL westy), compression is around 130-150 and power is fine, it as been like that for the pass 2 years and the guy as no oil consumption problem at all. I think that AVP as chosen to go the safe way with old rebuilt part and core, and i do agree with them at 100%. Don't try to put out to many HP or a high compression in an old core if you want reliability.

Core are used core, that mean they will have a few helicoil and some of those will fail! THe 2 years old AVP that am working on right now as no leak and the coolant compression test was perfect. Head gasket are more than fine.

AVP did a good job on Roadhaus engine as to perfectly seal this one, believe me, i know when i see a bad heads gasket job.

So for the price, it's a good choice.

Ben http://www.benplace.com/