Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:34:19 -0400
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: vanagons days numbered?
Comments: To: "Brian T." <nobleman36@YAHOO.COM>

a system like this is already employed in singapore. it uses the same technology as those toll boths that let you automatically pass through because you have a transmitter in your car. speeding tickets are also automatically issued by this system.

that said i do take issue with one thing in the reading that all vehicles produce the same effects on the road system.

"But few cars are average. A 2004 Honda Civic that gets 36 miles to the gallon would pay more tax than today; a 2004 Range Rover that gets 12 would pay less.

Treating them the same is fair, Whitty argues. Each vehicle uses up about the same amount of space on the highway, he says, and there's little difference in the wear and tear they inflict on roads. "

thats a load of crap those academic types should take a trip to michigan where we have the worst roads in the country. why you ask, because we allow 8 axle semi-trailers and the heaviest allowable truck payloads in the country. pretty soon they will be telling me that a motor cycle produces as much wear on the roads as a full size work van or suv. surely my vanagon produces more wear on the roads than my little speed racer scirocco. it seems that they would need to make classes of vehicles with different tax per mile driven costs.

jonathan