Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:22:26 -0400
From:         Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@MAIL.CRAFTECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas Taxes - Think 2!

Good point Jeff -

Which make me wonder - could there be car-pooling credits? Like pollution credits? That way it would make sense to have 2 Vanagons. A regular Vanagon for driving to work with 6 passengers each day would get you the credits to run your camper on weekends and vacations. Heck, maybe you could buy a camper with all the credits you would get. Might increase the value of vanagons on ebay as well.

KG

Brian- Interesting stuff. I have NO desire for the government to know more about my personal life than they already do, but at the same time, I have nothing to hide. With that point aside, I think there are some issues that I didn't see discussed in the articles you posted.

My immediate thought was assuming all cars are outfitted with the necessary GPS units, road use rates could be set up for each specific road. For example, if I drive the same stretch of road to work everday, by myself, that happens to follow the same path as some sort of mass transit (bus line, light rail, train, etc.) then the rate for that road should be far higher than a stretch of highway in the middle of nowhere. Mass transit use would rise considerably and/or car pooling might finally become the reality that it should have decades ago. But, those of us that use the highways for cross country trips and to remote places, the cost wouldn't be a constraint because of the lower use tax.

Jsut a thought and immediate reaction, I probably overlooked something very obvious with this thought!

Jeff

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Brian T." <nobleman36@YAHOO.COM>

I don't like to play politics, however this could adversely impact our choice to drive these aging German boxcars we love so much.

http://www.caltax.org/member/digest/apr2001/apr01-07.htm

http://www.odot.state.or.us/ruftf/pdfs/FinalReport2003march/FinalReportAA200 3march.pdf

http://prisonplanet.com/articles/july2004/070504mileagetax.htm

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/