Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Aug 2004 07:50:24 -0700
From:         Daryl Christensen <aatransaxle@DIRECWAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: what causes 3rd & 4th gear to go out?
Comments: To: Dieselslave@WMCONNECT.COM

Ther are several causes for the 3/4 failures, but the most common is the hub that the 3/4 slider rides on cracks due to poor design and binds up or gets bound up in a gear. Even the factory update does crack at times, but mostly on heavier rigs or those with more power it seems. Shift linkage or the internal shift rods usually get broken trying to force the thing into gear. At the same time, the slider cracks put the gear sets out of position and grind the gear housing which makes more end play for the gears andruins more stuff in there. Its tough to do repairs on these things without the proper tools. I have had many a guy send me one partially disassembled saying..to heck with this..send me a rebuild. I have seen many done by genaric trans repair shops that were hacked apart and together only to break a few thousand miles down the road. $1095 for a rebuild with a 3 yr warranty Daryl of AA Transaxle Duvall, WA. (Seattle area) 1-877-377-0773 toll free 425-788-4070 aatransaxle.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Goldey" <Dieselslave@WMCONNECT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 8:31 PM Subject: what causes 3rd & 4th gear to go out?